Saturday, September 02, 2006

 

Mr. Kabir, the rug salesman.


At the weekly bazaar, the base lets the area merchants set up stalls at an area near the main gate. This is Mohammad Kabir who is holding up a rug made here, handmade, pure wool and he said the colors would not fad with washing. At least I think thats what he said. I told him I would send the picture home to my wife to let her see if she likes it.
His starting price for this was $150 and I didn't want to haggle, so I don't know how much it will actually sell for. I would guess it took a woman at least a month to do this size rug about 3' x 5'. I told him I would be back next week on payday. The rugs in the background are machine made and people will get those to just cover the bare floors in the barracks. In the packages around him are colorful womens scarves. He said most of them come from Kashmir, India. Men scarves are very plain compared to these.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?